Monday, April 14, 2014

Assis, São Paulo, Brazil- April 14, 2014

Hello Dear Family and Friends,

This week was WONDERFUL! Man, where do I begin? I will begin with a funny story and end with the spiritually stuff. :)

So this week we were contacting in the the street and there was a man working on a city telephone box for fixed house phones. My enthusiactic companion didn't let this stop her from talking to him. Excitedly she went to share and message and get his address. When we approached I noticed he was fixing a phone line. My cute companion began to talk to him and he listened as he worked. She began to share a message about the light the gospel brings into our lives and how it is because of Jesus Christ. She made the comparison of him working on the box to help people receive 'light' in the houses. 

Excited with the connection she made, she continued to elaborate. He listened patiently smiling to himself. I didn't have the heart to stop her and tell her that it was a telephone box. When she finished he gave her his address and then said.. "Oh and I actually don't work electricity and light, I work with telephone lines." I did all I could to not burst out laughing. As we walked away laughing she said, "If I would have know I would have talked about prayer and the connection with God like a phone call!!!" It was so funny! 


Yesterday we had an incredible baptism for our investigator Sueli. She is INCREDIBLE!!!! She is a single mother of 5 children. We met her walking in the street 2 weeks ago. She is very smart and knows so much about the Gospel. As we taught her all week she clung to the truths we taught and applied them into her life. She received a beautiful answer about the Book of Mormon and testified of this answer she received at her baptism. 

She stopped smoking and drinking coffee because of the testimony she has of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. She had never visited the church when she accepted to be baptized. She is a great example to me of trust and following the spirit. She is very happy to be a part of the true Church of Jesus Chirst. She was baptized by our recent convert, Roberto! It was a very special day. I love her and her family! I hope her older children open their heart the the Gospel. I know that everyone has seen a huge change in her. 

It is such a privilege to see the miracles happen in peoples lives because of the Gospel. I love being a missionary! 

Another experience we had this week was probably one of the most spiritual expeiences I have had here in the mission during a lesson. We were teaching a lady and her niece. They are neighbors to Roberto. He was there teaching with us. This was our first time there. Our goal was to teach the first lesson about the Restoration. 

As we taught, we had a great conversation with these women. They are very open and loving people who have a point of view about religion that is perfect for someone looking for the truth. As we taught she asked lots of questions. When I finished relaying the story of Joseph Smith she looked and me intently and asked, How do you KNOW this is true? 

Sister Bispo and I both told her how we have sincerely prayed and received answers. She smiled acceptingly, but still seemed curious. She looked to Roberto and asked the same thing. Like a spiritual giant he began to testify about the Book of Mormon. She stopped him midsentence and asked, what is the Book of Mormon?? I showed it to her. She asked if she could see it. I gave it to her and began to explain what it is. She then stopped me. She quietly and sincerely began to talk. She said that when she wants an answer from God she opens her Bible and He speaks to her. She said that she did this with the Book of Mormon and that she wanted to share the scripture she opened up to. She read to us 1 Nephi 22:12 -

 12 Wherefore, he will abring them again out of bcaptivity, and they shall be cgathered together to the lands of their dinheritance; and they shall be ebrought out of obscurity and out of fdarkness; and they shall know that the gLord is their hSavior and their Redeemer, the iMighty One of Israel.

Roberto began to cry and the spirit hit me like I have never felt before. 'Hit' is the word I use because it was so powerful. Roberto told her that God had answered her. With tears welling up in her eyes she said. "Amen, I know this book is true. I am in darkness and this is the light. When you came to my door today you asked for my neice because she was the name written in your address book. But when I saw you, I felt that you were here for me and my whole family." 

We stayed in reverent silence for sometime and then she asked if she could buy a Book of Mormom. We happily told her that we have them for free! They are coming to a family home evening at Roberto's house tomorrow with other families from the ward. It was so neat. I am very happy that Roberto was there. He has the missionary spirit. Members in lessons make all the difference!

Well, it was a great week indeed! I love this work. I love you all. I know that this Gospel is true and the way to return to our Father in Heaven. LOVE YOU ALL!!! 


Have a great week!

Love, Sister Rachel Edwards


No comments:

Post a Comment